ANOTHER EXCITING SCHOOL YEAR IS UPON US!
Alabama’s Voluntary Pre-K Program offered at the YMCA Northeast and Downtown Youth Centers is preparing for another exciting school year. Alabama’s state-funded First Class Pre-K program has been awarded the highest quality rating by the National Institute for Early Education Research for the past nine years and is now being offered at the YMCA Youth Center in Downtown Birmingham. The only requirement to enroll in this program is that the child must be 4 years old as of September 1, 2022.
First Class: Alabama’s Voluntary Pre-K is part of the Office of School Readiness. First Class Pre-K provides effective high-quality early childhood experiences that prepare Alabama’s children for school success and lifelong learning.
School readiness means a child enters school with:
- An enthusiasm for learning
- An ability to function in a social setting
- Age-appropriate communication and problem-solving skills
- Age-appropriate physical and emotional skills
- Optimal health
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR REGISTRATION
- Accepting online pre-registration applications for 2022-2023 school year (for assistance with accessing online application contact local school/program)
- Enrollment open to all children four years of age on or before 9/1/2022 who are residents of the state of Alabama (children who are eligible for kindergarten are ineligible)
- Enrollees must provide a copy of the child’s birth certificate (may be uploaded into the online pre-registration site or submitted directly to the local school/program)
- Enrollees must provide proof of residence – either a current utility bill or copy of a lease or mortgage (may be uploaded into the online pre-registration site or submitted directly to the local school/program)
- Public school system pre-k programs may have zoning requirements that determine eligibility to attend a program at a particular school (contact school for information)
- No Registration Fee for this program
- Upon enrollment, child’s immunization record must be provided
- No child will be denied participation on basis of income, sex, race, color, national origin, or disability
Acceptance to the Program
Acceptance is strictly through a random drawing to be held on March 21st at the YMCA Youth Center. Parent/Guardian does not have to be present at drawing. Notices will be emailed beginning April 6th, 2022.
To apply click the button below, complete the Pre-Registration Form and submit:
- Original Blue Card
- Original Birth Certificate
- Proof of Income
Visit www.children.alabama.gov or click the button below and see Pre-Registration Info under First Class Pre-K.